Want to support our social cycling rides?
Our Pedal Away rides are pitched at a low level so that anyone can join in no matter when the last time you got on a bike was. They are social rides every Thursday aimed to turn people from dubious beginner to independent confident cyclist! Rides usually last between 1-2 hours and will feature a café stop during or at the end of the ride. Each ride will have a ride leader at the front of the group and volunteers at the back to ensure everyone stays together but we always welcome additional volunteers to support the social element of the ride.
We would like someone to:
• support us to welcome people as they arrive to join in and get their equipment
• participate in the ride and keep to the middle pace of riders
• offer encouragement and conversation to other riders to help us to support the social side of the ride.
We will make sure you:
• Have a short induction and explanation about the work we do, how the project works and the support we require from you
• Have a bike and helmet for the ride (you can use your own if you prefer).
You will have the chance to:
• share your skills
• spend some time outdoors
• meet new people
• learn more about Pedal Away
• gain a better understanding of the voluntary sector in the city
• enjoy cycling
Please note: As with all participants in the ride, we will ask you to complete a short health questionnaire to ensure it is safe for you to participate.
Whilst our rides will always have enough support to ensure, they can be carried out safely, additional support will help us to:
- have a better idea of how participants feel about the ride and allow us to follow up
- help participants, particularly those new to the group, to feel comfortable
- help with continued participation which can have positive benefits in terms of both health and social isolation
- allow other volunteers who may have carried out this role to shadow ride leaders which will help us to increase our offer to the community.